Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He ate half bag of m & ms, Max, 7 months, He is between

Customer Question
He ate half bag...

He ate half bag of m & ms

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Max

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Max?

7 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?

He is between 25-30 lbs

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
1/7/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

How many ounces of M&Ms is in half of that bag, please?

The maximum he ingested is 5 oz

It takes a bit less than 1 ounce of pure milk chocolate per pound of body weight to intoxicate a dog with the theobromine in chocolate (vomiting, agitation, tremors soon after ingestion). He would have needed to ingest nearly 25-30 ounces to be in trouble. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but he wasn't intoxicated. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. (He may self-decontaminate by vomiting.) Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Ok great. Thank you for your help.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?