Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I inherited three puppies at the age of three weeks whose…

Customer Question
I inherited three puppies...

I inherited three puppies at the age of three weeks whose mother had died. Two of the puppies have developed

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the puppy?

One ofthe puppies was considerably smaller than the other and she developed at a very slow rate......she appeared premature, I had been feeding them the Hartz milk replacement for puppies and today they are six weeks so they graduated to puppy chow this morning. Yesterday evening the runt appeared very lethargic, and passed black stools, later startedvmoaning....she was kept warm but then seized and became flaccid and at 8 this morning she died....could she have gotten Parvo somehow....how can I avoid the other two puppies becoming ill too? My vet is off the island as the puppies were to start their vaccinations on Tuesday? Feeling so sad and anxious.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the puppy. What is the dog's name?

Ginger

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ginger?

No, other than when compared with her two siblings she was grossly premature even her genitalia....her kidneys and GI tract had been fine initially she urinated and defecated without any issues...even while

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
1/6/2018
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 6 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I would tend to think that the runt had a genetic condition such as liver shunt that kept her smaller than normal. While on the easily digestable puppy formula she did ok but the liver helps filter toxins out of a dogs system. The switch to a solid food may have triggered a toxin overload leading to seizures and death.

They would have needed to be exposed to parvo in order to contract parvovirus. That isn't that difficult but if you have been careful, it would not be likley. I would take a fecal sample from my puppies into the vet for testing just to be on the safe side regardless. If by some chance your pups do test positive for Parvo, ask about Tamiflu treatment for Parvo. It is an off label use, but has an extraordinary recover rate when used to treat Parvo IF it is administered in the first 48 hours of symptoms (normally refusal to eat). It can also be used to prevent symptoms from appearing in dogs who have been exposed.

I hope your pups have not contracted Parvo, but if they have, please ask your Vet to research Tamiflu and treat your dog with it. I had a whole litter survive Parvo using Tamiflu and they were back eating within 36 hours of the first dose.

Here is a website that discusses this subject in detail.

http://www.carnivorecarryout.com/category_s/1860.htm

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 5 months ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.