Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog when walking is crossing his front paws, No wound.

Customer Question
My dog when walking...

My dog when walking is crossing his front paws,

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Lucky, he is a 9 yr old Pomeranian

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucky?

Year ago he did have a couple of small seizures

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog
1/6/2018
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 3 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Unfortunately, this crossing of the legs while walking can be a symptoms of a neurological issue. Now this might include disc issues and pomeranians are prone to disc issues. An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which can cause changes in gait, incoordination and in severe cases causes paralyses . You can read about this here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/intervertebral-disc-disease-ivdd-in-the-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/intervertebral-disc-disease-ivdd-in-the-cervical-area-in-dogs/

Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

Now other neurological issues might cause this as well such as growths, and lesions. It is important that you have Lucky seen by your vet and have some imaging done to determine the cause. If it is disc related, early treatment may help keep Lucky mobile without surgery.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 months ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.