Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate some elastic netting from a chicken breast. Is…

My dog ate some...

My dog ate some elastic netting from a chicken breast. Is there anything i should do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Athena, german shepherd, 8 months old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Athena?

She ate it about 1/2 hour ago

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/5/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Ty

If it's been less than 2 hours, you can feed Athena a meal and then induce vomiting to see if the netting will come back up in the emesis. Failing this, you'll need to feed increased fiber for the days to come and watch for symptoms of concern which might indicate a blockage such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, cramping in the intestines, etc. To induce vomiting, you'll use these instructions: https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/03/15/how-and-when-to-induce-vomiting-in-pets.aspx Make sure to feed her so food surrounds and cushions the netting if it is to come back up.

If it does not, begin giving 1/2 cup of boiled rice mixed in with her regular dog food for the next 3-5 days. Watch closely to ensure that the netting is passed in the stool. If at any point you see the netting hanging from her back end, do NOT pull. Trim the netting with scissors and allow it to pass naturally from the body.

If at any point she is not acting right, she does need to see your veterinarian or ER vet (whomever is open at the time).

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
Thank you

You're welcome. Let me know if I can assist further.

Thank you.

.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse