Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My ten year old shiva inu has started wheezing and making…

Customer Question
My ten year old...

My ten year old shiva inu has started wheezing and making this horrible hacking honking in and out like struggling to breathe. Notice it happens after eating or activities ,

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

He has had this almost hairball like cough noise where he sucks air in and out fast nipot seeming to get much air in, lasts a few seconds but more often now throughout the day

Veterinarian's Assistant: Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Wylie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wylie?

He is ten, has some lumpy fatty pockets around him he struggles to get off higher bed goes still in back legs def some form of glaucoma he’s not as active barely moves but sweet

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog
1/4/2018
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 month ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a video of the coughing? If not, does it look and sound like any of these?

Cardiac cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv02RYW2TfY

Kennel cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZusGtj3NxcU

Collapsing trachea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=042OsjZ5Hvs

Reverse sneezing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk

Laryngeal paralysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsv5o3pP00E

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It doesn’t appear to be the last one but I can’t tell I will video him next time he starts it’s a loud spastic honk noise very loud and continues for a bit

I'll keep an eye out for the video.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian