Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

We took our dog 20 LB to Beach he ran for 2.5 straight up…

Customer Question
We took our dog 20...
We took our dog 20 LB to Beach he ran for 2.5 straight up stairs on sand and now has barely moved. We think he might be sore because he normally gets out just 30-1 hour daily to dog park. He is 5 years old and we think he might be a Havanese or a Tibet Terrior. He has not eaten. Just a couple of snacks.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
1/2/2018
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Is he willing to stand on his own and walk?

Will he go outside to potty when prompted?

No that was it the long walk run strenuous 2.5 hours that he is not use to.

4 questions were asked above, which did you reply no to?

No
Yes
Yes

With the strenuous exercise that you mentioned at the beach, it sounds like your companion is likely sore and may potentially be arthritic. It would be wise to have him examined and treated by your vet, they will likely want to take x-rays of his back, hips and lower limbs to determine if he needs regular therapy to prevent this from happening again. If your companion is not already on a joint supplement, I would recommend starting one. My favorite are http://www.glycoflex.com products. At home, you can administer aspirin if no other medications are being given. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ I would also recommend talking to your vet about keeping a few doses of canine-safe NSAID therapy on hand, such as rimadyl combined with tramadol, to offer the most relief from discomfort for future exercise.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

He has gone to pee if prompted no poop but has not eaten

Did my response arrive above?

Once his discomfort has been addressed he should begin eating. If he does not, however, your vet will need to examine him. He may need prescription medications or even injections to help with pain.