Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Thick drool from mouth. Shakes head. This is a 10 YO GS.

Customer Question
Thick drool from mouth....
Thick drool from mouth. Shakes head. This is a 10 YO GS. Normal eating. Thought it may have been his ears, cleaned them and he’s still doing this.........
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
1/2/2018
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 6 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

The most common cause of head shaking is an ear infection. If an infection is already present, it is unlikely just cleaning the ears would clear it up especially if it has traveled inside the ear to the middle or inner ear. In addition, some ear infections can disturb the vestibular system leading to nausea which would cause drooling. This disturbance of the vestibular system is referred to as Vestibular disease. Symptoms include standing with legs spread out, swaying, head tilt, abnormal eye movement, walking sideways, falling over and may include vomiting as it progresses. There are a few things that can cause this condition such as an ear infection, some medications and old age. Have your Vet check your dog for this condition.

Here are some great sites on this condition:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/vestibular.html

The good news is that if this is the problem and it is due to old age, the condition normally resolves itself over a few weeks. Your vet will most likely prescribe dramamine or bonine to help with the symptoms. You can read about dramamine and bonine usage, precautions and dosage here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/dimenhydrinate-dramamine

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/meclizine-bonine-antivert

If it is from an ear infection, then clearing the ear infection will take care of the problem. Many ear infections are either ayeast or bacterial infection. In a yeast infection, you will see a golden to black buildup in the ear. You may also notice redness and bleeding, head shaking and your dog scratching the ear as well. You can try some miconazole cream to see if it helps until you can get in to see the Vet, but it isn’t a cure for underlying condition

You will have to have your vet look at it and determine if it is fungal or bacterial in nature so the appropriate medication can be given. Ear infections are not pleasant for your dog and I hope you can get him seen soon.

The following site has a recipe for a home remedy that may provide some relief though I recommend visiting the vet for medication.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html

Zymox with cortisone has been used by some experts to clear ear infections as well. You can read about it here:

http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/Zymox.html

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?