Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog ate a tomcat mouse bait and threw it up..no symptoms…

Customer Question
My dog ate a...

My dog ate a tomcat mouse bait and threw it up..no symptoms not sure what we should do. We were gone for three hours and it happened in that time period.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Lily and she is almost 6 years old, weighs 30 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lily?

Otherwise healthy dog

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog
12/31/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 month ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

There are two types of poisons. One type is an anticoagulant and causes your dog to start bleeding from different areas such as nose, rectum, penis, etc. The other type causes an increase in thirst, frequent urination, vomiting, weakness, muscle twitching, seizures and eventually death. Symptoms do not appear immediately but from 18 hours to several days later.

You will need to get your dog to vomit if it has been within 4 hours and then get your dog to the vet immediately. If you can not get your dog to vomit, go immediately to the vet. Now you state your dog has thrown up already so some of the poison is out of her system. However, if it made her vomit then she did get enough to cause problems.

I do think given the circumstances that you should have her seen by a vet as soon as possible and be sure to take the container the poison was in with you to the vet. If you do not know of an emergency vet, you may be able to find one on this site.

http://www.vetlocator.com/hotline.php

More information can be found here

http://www.vspn.org/Library/misc/VSPN_M01287.htm

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+1411+1418&aid=2237

http://www.aspcapro.org/sites/pro/files/d-dbriefoct2002.pdf

Since it can take 18 hours or more before you see symptoms it is better to not wait until you see symptoms especially since you know positively there was an ingestion.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.