Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

This is cool. Didn't expect it...I will explain it.... 5lb…

Customer Question
This is cool. Didn't...

This is cool. Didn't expect it...I will explain it....

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

5lb YorkiePoo. Female. Healthy . Small knot under her right jaw, down in neck area. She was a bit "punky" acting yesterday, and I felt the knot last night. She is eating and drinking fine, yesterday and today. potty normal. Eyes bright and clear, gums nice and pink. She is holding her tongue out a bit. definitely acts like she doesn't feel good. Nose is cool. I have checked the skin around it and cannot see a bite or sting.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Paisli 3 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Paisli?

No. Very healthy little one

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog
12/31/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 month ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. C It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

This could be swollen lymph gland, abscessed tooth or possibly an salivary gland problem depending on where on the neck it is. Usually with a salivary gland problem you will also see excessive drooling.

Swollen lymph nodes can be due to many causes including infections, autoimmune diseases, fungal and bacterial infections and lymphoma (cancer). You can read about the lymphatic system in the dog here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/structure-and-function-of-the-lymphatic-system-in-dogs/page2.aspx

An abscessed tooth can sometimes cause lumps or swelling of the muzzle or jaw and upper neck. A bad tooth doesn't always stop a dog eating and drinking. You will want to check your dog’s mouth and look for any broken or discolored teeth. If you find any, buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain until your dog can be seen by your Vet. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen.

Check just under your dog’s jawbone for a swelling and under your dog’s tongue for a swelling. This is where some of your dog’s salivary glands are located. If you find a swelling here, it’s possible your dog has an accumulation of fluid near the salivary gland called a sialocele which is causing your dog to salivate more. This condition does require your dog to be seen as soon as possible. You can read about it here:

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/sialocele.htm

You will need to have your dog seen so the cause is identified and treated. If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.