Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 17.5 year old Maltese was started on Lasix for mild CHF…

Customer Question
My 17.5 year old...

My 17.5 year old Maltese was started on Lasix for mild CHF last Thursday morning. While at the vet he pooped. He has not pooped since then...3 days now. I have CVS generic stool softener and laxitive combo 50mg pills. Can I give him one.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Cooper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cooper?

No. As I said he was just at the vet Thursday. He has mild collapsing trachea syndrome and was also started on something for that last Thursday.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
12/31/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr G, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr G
Dr G, Veterinarian
Hi I’m Dr G and i will help you out with your dog. Poor Cooper! He has a lot going on. Give me a minute to write a response.
thank you.
I would not recommend giving him any sort of stool softener or laxative. These can be really dangerous for dogs, especially tiny little guys. Is he still eating? Still acting ok?
He is not eating a lot but has always been a picky eater. I suspect the diuretic is pulling the water out of his GI tract. Of, course it is a weekend and a holiday to boot.
Try adding a little water to his food or SALT FREE chicken broth, to get him to drink more. Make sure he has free access to water and you encourage his drinking. More water will help him out.
He may have less stool because the lasix pulls the water out and dries out the dog.
If he is still eating, I am less worried about this.
If we really need some help and stool is very dry there are two things we can do:
Add some plain canned pumpkin to his dog food 1-2 tsp mixed into his food, maybe with a little of the chicken broth will help as a natural,laxative and good fiber and good moisture.
The second it to use a little bit of Miralax, 1/4 tsp, twice daily to soften the stool.
If these don’t work, the. See your vet.
Thank you. I tried pumpkin before just for him to eat not because of any problem. He refused it...of course. I will put some Miralax in his water.
He might not get the Miralax if you put it in the water. I would put that amount into a tiny bit of water and give it to him by syringe. Or you can mix that powder in a little bit of baby food, canned food, etc to make sure he gets it.
But more moisture in his diet will help the most. Maybe some veggies like green beans or zucchini?
If not pumpkin, sweet potato might also help? Also, the pumpkin does better if mixed into canned food, baby food etc to disguise it.
And remember to encourage more water however you can!