Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a 9 mo old frenchie. I found him with a nexium bottle…

Customer Question
I have a 9...

I have a 9 mo old frenchie. I found him with a nexium bottle he had chewed the top off. There are no pulls left inside and i am not sure if there were any to begin with. It was a dample bottle.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

He is 9 months. He is not acting strange at all

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Churchill

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Churchill?

Churchill

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
12/31/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Ok

The proton pump antacids such as esomeprazole (Nexium) are very well tolerated by dogs. Little information on acute toxicity is available but the LD50 (the dose that can kill 50% of test subjects) in rats is reportedly greater than 1,800 mg per lb of body weight. Humans have tolerated oral dosages of 360 mg/day without significant toxicity. I would continue to monitor Churchill. Treatment, if necessary, is symptomatic and supportive. There's no specific antidose for esomeprazole. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I can calk my vet if you think that is best
Should I give him some milk soaked bread

Milk soaked bread won't be of value. If ingested, these pills are rapidly absorbed. I don't believe a vet visit will be needed. His vet is likely to tell you to continue to monitor Churchill as I've also told you. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you so much for your help. I will keep an eye on him.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.