Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Her ear - the floppy part - not the inner ear - is swollen &

Customer Question
Her ear - the...

Her ear - the floppy part - not the inner ear - is swollen & full of fluid like a water balloon. Nothing oozing from ear canal or ear flap but it looks very painful. Taking her to vet tomorrow but I want to bring her some relief whether it be 1mg xanax or some benadryl as the irritation is causing her to shake head incessantly. ūüėę She is 12 year old boxer mix appx 80-90lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Roxy....

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?

No. She has typical skin tags & fatty deposit type lumps in a couple spots. No major health issues known.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
12/31/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. It sounds like she has an ear hematoma from what you are describing. This typically needs surgery to fix. In the meanwhile, I would start giving her 100 mg Benadryl every 12 hours to help with technology inflammation and to give her on relief until you can get her in to the vet's office.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Schmidt