Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My yorkie is constipated. Can you please help me. He is 3…

Customer Question
My yorkie is constipated. Can...
My yorkie is constipated. Can you please help me. He is 3 months old. The last time he had a bowel movement was this morning at 10am. He has been eating and drinking a little water.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/31/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. You can start this little guy on Miralax 1/4 tsp every 12 hours as needed for contipation. That is one of the best supplements for constipation in these guys. You can also mix in some canned pumpkin 1/4 tsp into his food as well. You can offer him some Pedialyte to help with his hydration as well.
I cannot receive phone calls currently, but I can opt out of this question for another expert that might be able to do so if you'd like.
Is there anything more I can do for him. Can I purchase these items at Walgreens. Should I be concerned. Should I take him to a vet. He was eating some rawhide earlier this morning as well. I am soo scared. Should I take him to the hospital.
You can purchase these items at Walgreens. As far as whether you should be concerned enough to take him to the vet tonight, if I could get a better idea of what he's doing right now, that would be helpful. Is he up, pacing or straining and can't get comfortable right now or is he relaxing or sleeping?
Right now he is sleeping. He have been running around for the past two hours. He gets up to be active for a while and then he goes to lay back down. He has not even attempted to use it. I have given a little milk; and that was from me reading online. I have also given him half of a cup of soft beneful for him to eat. Earlier today, he was not drinking water, playing or eating. He has since been a little active. Bur he still has not pooped. When he ate the rawhide earlier, he was choking a bit. I started to massage his stomach and throat and have him water and now he is not pooping.
Ok, thank you for the information. I would let him rest tonight and start him on the pumpkin and Miralax in the morning. You can continue with the milk and soft food as well in the morning. Because he pooped this morning, I am not concerned that he hasn't pooped tonight. If he is comfortable enough to sleep, that is a good sign that the raw hide isn't causing a big issue at this point.
If he wakes up and starts vominging or straining to poop, I would take him in to the emergency vet tonight.
Should we give him the miralax tonight. Also, can I place my finger in his anal. Would that make a difference. I just really don't have the funds for an emergency vet visit. So I would like to know all that I can do before I have to take my baby to the vet. I would also like to know if there is anything I could do. I have also been randomly massaging his stomach. He does allow me to do that.
Hello??
Are u still available to assist
Let him rest and give him the Miralax in the morning. Please whatever you do, do not stick your finger in his rectum.