Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog Rudy had TPLO surgery in 2014 and 2015. He was

Customer Question
walking this morning it snowed...
My dog Rudy had TPLO surgery in 2014 and 2015. He was walking this morning it snowed the day before and all of a sudden he lifted his leg the same way he did when he was diagnosed. It is cold outside of course and he did the same about a week ago. He put weight back on it and walked home. I gave him some Aspirin for dogs. What should I do?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/30/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question. Is he waking normally on that leg now at this time in the house?

he walked back home on the leg putting weight
On the leg

That is good that he walked home on that leg putting his normal weight on it. In a situation like this, one of the things that could have happened was he had something in the interdigital region that caused some discomfort that resolved. IF he was walking in the snow, I know that my dog has had this happen too, they will get some ice or something stuck in the toes and it will cause them to walk a little awkward till it gets knocked out. If he's walking normally in the house at this time, then I wouldn't be overly worried about what you saw.

I am not able to talk at the moment.

I'm sorry about the phone call prompt as that was the system. What you can do at home at this time is to let him rest and just check in between the toes to see if there is anything there that may be a cause of discomfort. If this type of behavior returns, I would be checking the foot itself for a cause.

Ok thanks for the prompt and information. So just to confirm you believe the issue is his foot and not his leg?

If he's back to walking completely normal at this time in the house, then it wouldn't seem that suspect for the leg / knee / repair he had. With snow on the ground, I'm curious about it causing this behavior.

I saw another vet ask a client with a similar question if it was cold out. That is why I mentioned the snow. I have never seen this behavior before.

He is again walking completely normal now in your house?

How is Rudy doing at this time?

This morning when I took him out, the same situation occurred again, this time in both legs. He was trying to have a bowel movement and I it appeared that it is too painful for him to bend his hind legs. I do not think it is a problem with his feet. This is his first experience with cold weather

If he's walking completely normal in the house, then goes outside and does this, then there is something in that environment that is most likely the cause. Just yesterday I took our new puppy out and he did awesome in the cold here, until he got to the sidewalk with the salt on it and that texture / feel on his paws caused him to walk all irregular. I would be curious if Rudy is getting something in his paws or the feel there that is causing this. The cold can cause some implants to have an irregular feel, but usually those are smaller dogs with plates that don't have a lot of soft tissue over them.

Ok so when I take him out in a few hours should I keep him on grass and see how he does. He definitely will have to go in a couple of hours. Should I invest in snow boots

The snow boots are something that can help to protect the feet. It might be something very easy to try and to see how it helps. Again, if he's walking completely normal inside, then it is something outside in the environment that seems the issue.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?