Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a 1yrold, German shepherd, we have tried every thing,

Customer Question
I have a 1yrold...

I have a 1yrold, German shepherd, we have tried every thing, Colt insicts on getting me up at 2:30 every day, even if I let him out that doesn't make him happy, he wants to play. Will not let me go back to sleep. What can I do too change this habit,, too cold to leave him out.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

He is very high strung

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog
12/30/2017
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 3 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Is Cole left alone during the day?

IF you take him out does he potty?

When does he last eat before bed time?

What have you tried so far to change this?

What type of toys does he have?

What type of exercise does he get?

Is he crate trained?

He is alone for a while during the day, not so much on weekends.
He does potty when he goes out.
He eats about 5 pm , but if we give him food in morning he doesn't eat it until about noon.
He has an "invisible fence" collar that we have put on him and used an inside unit to keep him from scratching at bedroom door, but then he just whines continuously until I get up.
He has bones and rope toys, gets plenty of exercise , and does not have a crate.

Thank you for that information. The first thing I want you to know is that dogs don't really know that when they potty inside they have done the wrong thing. Nor in many cases do they even know why you are scolding them. It is the tone of your voice and body language that tells them you are angry , but they are not sure why. So then they survey the room, to see what is in there that could be making you angry, if every time you scolded him there was a water bottle on the floor instead of feces, he would associate your anger with being near water bottles in that room. So showing and scolding does not do anything and in fact it may have him go inside even more, only he will begin to hide it behind furniture or in closets. He sees you are angry when you an his eliminations are in the same room, but he does not know why you are angry. so his next thing would be to not go in front of you , either inside or outside, which then leads to him hiding it.

When you find an accident, do nothing, just clean it up.

Start taking him out more often and if needed, have a dog walker come and let him out during the week at the noon hour.

Any dog that has accidents and gets continued free roam of the house is being set up to fail. So he must be contained in a crate or gated area where you are not going to get so upset by accidents. The smaller the area the less likely he will have an accident. In that area place a food and water dish and a bed. Dogs do not usually like to eliminate where they eat and sleep. The only time you will see this happen is if the dog was living in a kennel for most of its life, then it had no choice but to go where it was fed and slept. If that is the case it will be very hard to break and can take up to a year of you being consistent with taking him out and confining him to an area in the home with a gate when you cannot watch him.

When you are home you should have your eye on him every minute and he should stay with you in the room you are in. Some people find it helpful to get an extra long leash and tether the dog to them so they don't forget about watching them and the dog must follow them room to room.

The next step is to show the dog that only going potty outside will reward him with something very special. So take him out several times,(start on a weekend) and give a potty command such as Fido , go potty. Continue to give this command until and while he is actually going potty, then praise and reward with something special such as a cheese chunk or hot dog sliver so he associates the command with the act and doing the act outside with the reward. this is the only time he should get this special reward. Eventually if you are consistent, you will have a dog that will at least try to go potty each time you give the command, and you will not always have to have a treat on hand, it is learned like any other command.

My colt doesn't have accidents in the house, he goes out any time he goes to door, which is about 100 times a day. I don't scold him for anything, he just wants to play,,I need to get him. To wait until 4am

My deepest apologies, this answer was to go to another customer who was having house training issues! The site opened the wrong question/ answer page, and I do apologize for that.

Your best bet is to take a long weekend and totally ignore the pup when he does this. Dogs will do what works for them, and if he is whining, and you get up, then it has worked. The more it happens the more reinforced the behavior is.

There are a couple of things I might try to settle him in for the night.

There is dog calming music you can play on your computer for 8 hours, or there are also CDs you can buy on Amazon called through a Dogs Ear.

I might try giving some melatonin as this is calming as well. However do make sure he is not on other meds from your Vet. You can find this in the viatmen aisle in the drug store, and in the link below it goes over dosing.

This may be used long enough just to retrain him to sleep through the night.

many dogs do well in crates placed by the side of the bed as many will whine when they cannot get near the owner. If he is not used to a crate I might try putting a bed for him on the floor near your bed.

But the biggest predictor of undesired behavior is getting a reward and in this case you getting up is his reward.

You may also want to give him puzzle type toys just before bed as using the mind tires a dog out. These too can be found on Amazon or at pet stores.

Melatonin found in drug stores by vitamins check to be ure there is no xylitol in the ingredients
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx

dog music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OHEB41yRdU

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant