Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Tip of right ear is bleeding

Customer Question
Tip of right ear...

Tip of right ear is bleeding.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/28/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing? Do you know how this happened? Did the ear sustain a bite?

How do I share pictures?She got into a fight with a German shepherd 6 months ago. That split her ear but it healed, now it's opened back up and won't stop bleeding because she shakes her head. (She s a great Dane)

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

The best approach since she's shaking her head is likely going to be taking her in to see your vet, having the tissue cauterized and having them make a head bandage for her that keeps her ear from being smacked around when she shakes her head. Using an e-collar with a head bandage can all but eliminate the risk of further trauma. At home, you can apply cornstarch to help stave off bleeding and make a snood that fits like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9f/Snood_dog.JPG using old clothing such as the thigh area of a pair of panty hose, part of a legging, etc. so that it fits over the head to keep the ear in place. I would also use an e-collar for the next few days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eU The snood should fit snugly to mildly loose. It should not be very loose, nor should it be tight. The idea is to keep the ear from successfully being smacked around if she shakes her head. Additionally, you may need to use tape to keep the snood in place, which is why the e-collar may be necessary for success.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your girl? How is the ear doing today?