Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog suddenly in the middle of the night started

Customer Question
Second opinion] My dog suddenly...
Second opinion] My dog suddenly in the middle of the night started constantly swallowing and trying to lick the hardwood floors and carpet and ocassionally dry heaving and hacking. She was constantly pacing and decided to give her icecubes that seemed to work for a little while. She wanted so badly to go outside. I let her outside thinking maybe eating grass could calm her. She frantically started eating the grass. She�s back in bed now still constantly licking anything around her including the Bed sheet and swallowing constantly .. randomly standing up in the bed and laying back down. Any suggestions ?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/27/2017
Dog Specialist: Joan, Vet Tech replied 6 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

From your description I suspect this is Nausea. Dogs when nauseous will eat grass, and lick or chew odd items. This could be a bout with Gastroenteritis or just something did not agree with her stomach.

In a case like this, I take up the food for 12 hours. I give .25mg per pound of Pepcid AC every 12 hours they come in 10mg. tablets or they come in 20mg tablets.

After 12 hours I would go with a bland diet of 1 paty skinless chicken breast to 3 parts white rice for a few days and then gradually wean back onto the regular diet by adding regular food and removing the amount of chicken and rice.

Please hit reply to discuss this information. I do hope she is feeling better. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid unless I get a positive rating.

Joan

I wanted to check in and see how your dog was doing and if the information was helpful. Please let me know if I can further assist you.

Joan

Hi Clare,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan