Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 10 year old 15lb maltese is choking after eating,

Customer Question
My 10 year old...

My 10 year old 15lb maltese is choking after eating, drinking and at night pants heavy and sounds like a honking noise. The vet said could be a collapse treachia but X-rays were not conclusive. He us on anti inflammatory pils (for limp in his front leg which X-rays were inconclusive) and cough meds. Not sure what my next steps are.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes. Clipped the fur and can not see anything.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Dezi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dezi?

The limping and choking began prior to July. He also had surgery for bladder stones in July as well.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
Thank you
12/27/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Has any bloodwork been performed recently on Dezi?
2) What medications are currently being used, can you provide the names?
3) Have you tried varying up what consistency of food he eats?
4) Do you have copies of the x-rays?
5) Can you share a video of he honking noise?

1.Yes bloodwork was done in July for his surgery. He also had a dental last month but I can't recall if bloodwork was done.
2. Cough tabs 1/4 to 1/2 as needed. Ca rprofen 25mg 1/2tsb once a day.
3. Royal canine urinary so and boiled chicken. Dog biscuits as a great. Nothing else.
4. No
5. Ill take one and send asap.

I'll keep an eye out for the video.

I have been trying to upload the video but keep getting an error message.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.