Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My JRT mix ate chicken wing bones. It’s been 3 hours ago.

Customer Question
My JRT mix ate...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Hines and he’s 3 1/2 y o.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hines?

He was a rescue so we are limited on his medical history.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog
12/27/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about Hines. How is he acting at this time? Is he having any vomiting? Any discomfort? Is he acting normal?

He seems to be acting fairly normal. No vomiting.

That is great that he's acting fairly normal. Do you know how many chicken wings he ate?

Two whole chicken wings.
Looks like cartlidge and all.

Ok. This situation is one that has a great chance of being no issue at all. Dogs have been eating bones for a long, long, long time. When the eat bones, they have a really good chance of just being chewed up and then digested and pass with no issues. A very, very small subsection of them could have a blockage happen. These aren't the norm. When I have a dog at my ER come in that ate chicken wings, I don't try to make them vomit. I have owners monitoring them at home for vomiting, abdominal discomfort or not eating over the next 24 hours. If these happen, then they should be checked over.

Okay. So I just monitor him for the next few days?
look for those symptoms?

I'm sorry I went off line late last night before you last responded. How is he doing today? Basically waiting and watching for those signs is what is done. Typically the big sign being watched for is vomiting. I see few of these cases every month and pretty much the vast majority have no issue from similar situations.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian