Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 4 year old golden has had swallowing and licking lips and…

Customer Question
My 4 year old...

My 4 year old golden has had swallowing and licking lips and almost like a reverse sneeze occasionally it can get really bad vet gave anti nausea and some antibiotic thinking he had inflammation of the secum he was great for month or so now has it again wondering if maybe it acid reflux or esophagitis

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Brody

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brody?

No we switched to chicken eggs and rice again when it started

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog
12/26/2017
Dog Specialist: petdrz., Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Brody today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

I am confused by what you mean by inflammation of the secum.

Does Brody vomit or have soft stools?

No his only symptom was very erratic swallowing one evening in the night with licking lips and almost like a reverse sneeze they did all blood work and X-rays next day said it appeared to be an inflamed secum no runny stools he went home took anti nausea and antibiotic and was completely fine ate food drank water it went away and now seems to be back his stool is fine he is even eating and drinking fine just has the constant swallowing now
Vet thought the swallowing was his way to avoid vomiting but he never vomited
Are you still assisting me?

The only secum I am aware of in dogs is in the large intestine and if it were inflammed, I would suspect we would see symptoms similar to what we do with colitis which is soft stool and possible straining.

Lip licking and abnormal swallowing can be due to nausea and I have seen it in dogs with gastric reflux.

Is he doing the reverse sneezing again as well?

I know the secum thing didn't really make sense to me either he doesn't have those symptoms how do u treat reflux in dogs

Not right now but on occasion he does
What treatment do u suggest for reflux
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian