Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He started dragging his behind ,now he's yelping when he .he…

Customer Question
He started dragging his...

He started dragging his behind ,now he's yelping when he poops .he was just neutered.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Chico age 7mths.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Chico?

7mths

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chico?

Im giving him rimadyl 1/4 0fa 25mg

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
12/25/2017
Dog Specialist: petdrz., Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Chico today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Is he still passing stool? Is the stool formed?

Can you look under his tail for any swelling or redness?

He is pooping kinda greenish hard poop. His butt doesnt smell but he yelps.
No his bottom is not swollen.

It might be that he is constipated and having a hard time passing stool or it might be that his anal glands are bothering him. If there is any redness or swelling, I would suggest that you have him examined today. If the rectal area looks normal, you can try to see if softening his stool a little will help.

If he seems comfortable for the night and you want to try something on your own before you take him to your vet, you could safely give him two things that may help. The first is the laxative called Dulcolax® The generic name is Bisacodyl. It is available over the counter here and comes as a 5 mg tab. Give one tab twice a day. The other thing that helps to soften the stool is a product for humans called Miralax (or polyetheylene glycol) It is a powder that you can sprinkle on food and it works by drawing water into the stool to keep it soft. Start with 1/4 teaspoon twice a day. Try to increase his fluid intake as much as you can by offering water or broth to encourage drinking or add to her food to make it as soupy as she will allow.

Canned pumpkin, Bran, or Psyllium (Metamucil) are good sources of fiber and help with constipation as well. About 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per meal is what I would use.

If he keeps yelping or acting uncomfortable, I would definitely recommend an exam by your vet.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

He's not constipated cuz he is going poop. So I'll take h8m tomorrow.thank you.

Yes, he may not be constipated, but if the stools are hard, it may hurt when he passes them so he may benefit by making them a little softer. Good luck with him.

Hi Kat,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz.