Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She saw the vet Saturday for sneezing blood, going with

Customer Question
She saw the vet...

She saw the vet Saturday for sneezing blood, going with treating symptoms. Antibiotic for suspected bacterial infection. Today she starting sneezing and had a full blown nose bleed with thick looking some clotted blood everywhere.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Dakota is 12. She is a Boston Terrier

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dakota?

She has had an ear infection on that same side that we are treating as well. It was so bad at one point her ear canal was very swollen. This has been a chronic problem.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
12/25/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Dakota. The most common cause of epistaxis (nose bleed) in a 12 year old is neoplasia in the sinus or nasal cavity. Thrombocytopenia (a lack of blood platelets) and an anticoagulant rodenticide toxicity are important considerations as well. Thrombocytopenia is most often idiopathic (unknown cause) but thought to be immune-mediated. Tick borne infections such as ehrlichiosis also can cause thrmbocytopenia. A complete blood count including a platelet count and scoping of the nose are important diagnostics in these patients. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.