Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He woke up this morning not acting like his normal self he…

Customer Question
He woke up this...

He woke up this morning not acting like his normal self he is exactly 5 months today and is not showing any signs of wanting to play he's just laying around I felt his nose he was warm I checked his temperature rectally and his temp is 104 and he won't eat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Leroy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Leroy?

Not really he normally eats very well he's very playful so this Behavior I know is not himself he's just laying on the couch right now with me he is a German Shepherd he weighs about 70 lb and the shots are all up to date

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
12/25/2017
Dog Specialist: Joan, Vet Tech replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years.

I am sorry to read Leroy is not feeling well.

Normal Temperature in dogs is 100.5-102.5 so Leroy does have a fever and it is a bit high. I would like to try and get it down by wiping the pads on his feet with some c ool water and also a cool towel to the groin area. Hopefully this will help reduce the fever. Along with this he can have 5mg of Plain Buffered Aspirin per pound of Body weight every 12 hours.

I would push fluids like plain broth and Pedialyte mixed in his water.

Monitor the temps and if it goes up, cannot get it down, then an ER Vet visit will be needed.

I will be on and off all day if needed. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan