Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My chihuahua ate a chocolate toffee almond. Sunny and he is…

Customer Question
My chihuahua ate a...

My chihuahua ate a chocolate toffee almond

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Sunny and he is 27 years old I believe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sunny?

I’m not too sure because I got him from the adoption center. He seemed like he had a abusive past owner and is very timid

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
12/25/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 6 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How much does your dog weigh { In pounds }?

I’m not sure

I need this for the toxicity calculation, but let's assume 5 pounds as a very conservative estimate ...

Working on your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Sunny very much, in fact, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on him. Both almonds and toffee are non-toxic to dogs, so your only worry is the chocolate coating, while chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. But let's talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 5 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 3.5 ozs { Close to one-quarter pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Clearly, the amount of chocolate we are dealing with today is very minimal by comparison.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course, you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: LINK

But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Sunny's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Sunny is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate toffee almond issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

He’s actually doing fine at the moment. No signs of anything

Thanks for the update, so glad this did not affect Sunny ...

Happy holidays,

Dr Scott