Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Maltese jumped out of my arms onto pavement. Immediately…

Customer Question
Maltese jumped out of...

Maltese jumped out of my arms onto pavement. Immediately cried and paw is limp. She will not put weight on paw. It’s Christam Eve, found someone open but we are not wealthy people.she is 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Lucy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?

Nope she’s otherwise very healthy

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog
12/24/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Thanks
No thanks. Sorry driving

The best approach is going to be having her examined and the limb x-rayed to determine if she's suffered a fracture. If this is not possible, keep her confined through the holiday where she cannot further harm herself such as a dog kennel with additional padding. To help with pain, assuming she's on no other medications, she can receive aspirin. Dosing info here: https://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ If this is just a sprain rest and aspirin should help and she should begin putting weight on it within a few hours time.

Since you've mentioned that finances might be a concern, I would also look into financial aid and financing:

Red Rover: https://redrover.org/find-financial-assistance-veterinary-care

Best friends: http://bestfriends.org/resources/financial-aid-pets

AVMA: https://www.avma.org/public/YourVet/Pages/Financial-assistance-for-veterinary-care-costs.aspx

HSUS: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html

PAWS: https://www.paws.org/cats-and-dogs/other-services/help-with-veterinary-bills/

Your dogs friend: http://yourdogsfriend.org/we-recommend/need-help-paying-vet-bills/

AFRP: https://www.animalfriendsrescue.org/financialassistance.html

Speaking for Spot: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

2 options for financing include www.carecredit.com and www.scratchpay.com. Both of these companies have low interest APR rates (starting at 5%) and allow you to pay for a vet bill over 6-24 months.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Lucy doing today?

Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 month ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse