Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She has an ul, Open ulcer in her eye. Had it a fee mo ths…

Customer Question
She has an ul ...

She has an ul

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Open ulcer in her eye. Had it a fee mo ths ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Found during her bath..

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Yes, open ulcer in her eye..see oozing

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

She had in Sept

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Daisy 16, shih tzu

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
12/24/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Daisy. Can you clarify "open" ulcer for me, please? Does that simply mean that it isn't healing or has it perforated the cornea and you're seeing aqueous humor (fluid) oozing out from the anterior chamber (the space between the back of the cornea and in front of the iris) through the ulcer?

appears to be. I ave photo
I have otibiotic ointment they used in september
Dont want to put in eye until someone says is ok..old dog. Dont want her in pain for any longer than already has..

Thank you for the photo. There appears to be two main areas of interest. The red, raised area suggests a perilimbar infiltrate - an abscess, or granulation tissue formed by healing of the previous ulcer, perhaps, while there's a hint of either a healed or new central corneal ulcer as evidenced as concentric rings in the central cornea. Ideally this eye should be attended to by a specialist veterinary ophthalmologist (www.acvo.org) who could examine the eye hands-on. The eye may be a surgical candidate. I understand that we would like to avoid surgery in such an elderly dog, however, and so an antibiotic ointment is reasonable for now. Please tell me which you have.

You mustn't use that ointment. It contains the potent glucocorticoid (steroid) betamethasone which would prevent healing of an ulcer and is designed to be placed in the ear rather than eye in any event. Do you have an ointment designed for the eye?

We used those otibiotic drops in her eye in ...wow..our DR made a mistake

That one mustn't be used either. It contains the potent glucocorticoid dexamethasone. We need an antibiotic ointment only. Yes, your vet needs to know that there was an error in prescribing an otic ointment for the eye.

Vetropolycin is the ticket. I would apply a 1/4" strip to that eye every 6 hours throughout a 24 hour period until a vet could attend to it. Gently cleanse away discharge with a water or tear substitute soaked cotten ball prior to instilling the ointment. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I wont be able to see a vet til TUESDAY...can I continue for 48 hours?

Certainly, and you should. The only reason to discontinue it would be if the globe of the eye ruptured.

Thank you.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Will do.

I appreciate it.