Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I rescued a boxer last night and seems to have an open wound…

Customer Question
Hello I rescued a...

Hello I rescued a boxer last night and seems to have an open wound where nipple should be located.. and is very malnourished we have been feeding him little by little and giving him water w a little bit of pedialyte..what cAn I use to clean wound and cover it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

He is not bleeding at all..

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

We named him Chance I believe he is an adult

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chance?

We just rescued him last night

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
12/24/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr Linda, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian

Hello, I hope I can help with your concerns today. First, thank you for rescuing Chance.

If you have any antibacterial skin cleanser, like Hibiclens, or chlorhexidine, that would be best. You can get this at any pharmacy ( I think WalMart should be open until about 6pm). If not, just use warm water & just a tiny dab of shampoo, not dish soap. Try & remove as much soap as possible. Dry gently, & then apply some Neosporin, or triple antibiotic to the wound. If you can put a dressing or even an old t-shirt on him, this will decrease his licking the wound. You can treat the wound about twice daily, & this should greatly help.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Hello, I see you have viewed my response & was wondering how things are going. If you have no further questions or concerns, please do not forget to rate my response as this is the only manner in which I can receive credit for helping you. I would greatly appreciate this.

Thank you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda