Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He just got stabbed in the throat with a stick. There is an…

Customer Question
He just got stabbed...

He just got stabbed in the throat with a stick. There is an open wound in the back of his throat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

No there is no blood coming out of his mouth. Will the injury close up by its self?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Coal and he’s 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coal?

He weighs about 110

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
12/24/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Unfortunately, these wounds rarely close up by themselves. Furthermore, as this area is full of bacteria, it is very common to see infection. Plus to make Coal's situation even more challenging, if any of the stick has broken off (even shards) into the wound, these can negatively impact the healing process and cause foreign body tissue reactions. So, in this case, if he has been wounded from this stick, we'd be safest to have him seen by a local urgent care vet as we will need him on antibiotics and dog safe pain relief but likely will need stitching of this wound if its gaping without its edges aligned.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Ok. Thanks so much. I was worried I would have to take him.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Yes, those are never nice wounds for our dogs. So, it is best to get him seen to ensure we head off those risk of complicating factors for him.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Thanks! Just not how I want to spend Christmas Eve.

Of course not, I don't think Coal or anyone would want to either.

Unfortunately there rarely is a good time for these situations.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.

He’s doing great. Thanks so much for checking up on him. He just needed antibiotics. So yay for no stitches!

You are very welcome and thank you for the update,

That is great news and I am so glad to hear that all is well. :)

Have a lovely new year,

Dr. B.

**************************************

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!