Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My Basset Hound is very sick he's throwing up runny stool…

Customer Question
My Basset Hound is very...
My Basset Hound is very sick he's throwing up runny stool won't eat won't drink please just listless won't do anything and he's normally a base that he's normally a very active dog he's 8 years old and never been sick before
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog
12/23/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. Give me a few minutes to review your case and type my response.

I am sorry you are going through this with your dog. I can make a few recommendations of things you can try at home to help with GI upset. Common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, ulcers, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home to pinpoint the exact underlying cause. I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian and x-rays as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with vomiting. You can give Metamucil which is a fiber supplement that can help firm up the stool. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help when they are having GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't appetizing. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dog Specialist: Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian