Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has been trembling for a few days. It is cold. He has…

Customer Question
My dog has been trembling...
My dog has been trembling for a few days. It is cold. He has also been struggling on or refusing to use stairs. He only wants short walks-he plants his legs. I went to pet him last night and he yelped like I'd seriously hurt him and bit me. When I got home today he was shaking still. I drove him to urgent care. When i got there he ran around like crazy for 10 minutes and stopped trembling....so i am taking him home. Should I take him into the vet or is this just an older dog dealing with the cold or is he a weirdo?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/23/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Anytime we hear yelping and especially when an owner is bitten or a dog threatens to issue a bite we are likely looking at real pain. It's not uncommon for dogs (and humans, too) to experience a rush of endorphins which make pain less noticeable. I think it would be wise to have Fezzik examined and treated.

The trembling is often a sign of pain, as well as refusing to use the stairs and participate in regular-length walks.

As you may well know, small breed dogs are prone to a condition known as IVDD or intervertebral disk disease. This commonly manifests itself as discomfort in the neck and back. We can see symptoms as minor as tenderness and as major as full paralysis of the back legs. You can learn more here: http://sevneurology.com/articles/intervertebral-disk-disease-ivdd-in-dogs/ Many of these dogs exhibit the exact symptoms and changed behavior you've mentioned above.

I would urge you to schedule a veterinary visit at this time with diagnostics. Your vet will likely recommend x-rays to check his neck and back and will place him on a canine-safe NSAID and muscle relaxers, as well as pain meds like tramadol. Strict kennel rest will continue for a few days to a few weeks based on his condition and if it worsens they may recommend more diagnostics or referral to a specialist.

If you have to wait, the best approach is going to be strict kennel rest with no risk of jumping or falling. He can be taken outside to potty but should be lifted gently to go outside and placed gently into the grass. No playtime.

If he is not on any pain medication, you can give aspirin in a pinch. Please see the following link for info about dosing and risks: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ I would also suggest starting a joint supplement for joint health. I use and recommend http://www.glycoflex.com products.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Fezzik today?

I called his vet Saturday. They were booked for the day and closing early for the holiday. She gave me vetprofen and told me that it was probably arthritis- fezzik has mobility issues already. She told me if it worsens to take him to urgent care.
He has been doing fine so far. But he will still be seeing the vet as soon as they can schedule me

I am glad to hear it. Let me know if I can grant you any additional support over the holiday. Good luck!