Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My Maltese is acting like she wants a bowel movement and…

Customer Question
My Maltese is acting...

My Maltese is acting like she wants a bowel movement and keeps sitting on her butt and moving around, can't be still, letting out little yelps, like she has when she has been constipated once before. Had a li

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Had a little vomit. She is Diva and is around 7. She was a rescue

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

She is always clingy. She is walking around, wanting to go outside but snuck a rib bone last night before I closed up the bin.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Diva

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Diva?

She just keeps sitting on tiles or grass like it gives her relief, but can't settle

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog
12/22/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. It sounds like your dog is straining to defocate, which could be due to constipation, but it could also be due to the rib bone making its way through her digestive tract. I would recommend giving her some Miralax 1/2 tsp twice a day to help with the constipation, as well as 1 tsp of canned pumpkin twice a day. For the discomfort, I would give her some Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours. If these measures don't help or she continues to vomit, I would take her to the vet for an xray to see where the bone is located and if it is stuck somewhere.
Where can I get miralax? And Pepcid? Sorry, Internet went down. No further vomitting, she has been drinking small amounts but can't get comfortable. Her gums are normal and no pain in her underbelly and no problem picking her up
Hello, these are products that you can get at any drug store and most major grocert stores. Good luck with everything!
I am in Australia, but will look at the supermarket, our chemists don't carry as much as your drug stores so and most of the stuff is prescription only. Thank you I will do a search
Oh I see, I'm sorry to hear that. Let me know if you need any further assistance finding these products. I think we take for granted they are easy to get over here.
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian