Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is a one and. My dog is 18 months old, he is a rescue…

Customer Question
My dog is a...

My dog is a one and

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

My dog is 18 months old, he is a rescue pup. I have had him for 8 months now. He had parvo in the shelter and was treated. I cannot seem to break his soft stools permanently. Its not liquid, just very loose and soft: he hides them in the backyard and waits for them to harden and then tries to eat them?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Marty

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Marty?

He is a big dog, he still needs to put on weight, he should be about 36kg but he sits around 31kg. He wont put on weight, but we are very active. He is a cross bull arab

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
12/20/2017
Dog Specialist: Scott Perry, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Marty is having chronic soft stools. I am sorry to hear about that. Can you please tell me if he has had any fecal exams performed to rule out intestinal parasites? Any issues with vomiting or a lack of appetite?

of course. No internal parasites be was checked two months ago and has had all the required vaccinations and injections. No vommiting and no appetite loss. He wont stop eating. The stools are not runny, just really soft and he is quite gassy. I put that down to a side effect from the parvoviruses he had. Why does he eat the poo after do you think? He has a good diet and exercise, but he continues to eat his poop. Alot.

Very good to hear that. If there is no parasite and no infection, then the most likely cause of loose stool, eating stool (i.e. pica), and being underweight is likely due to a dietary intolerance or food allergy. A bacterial overgrowth is also a possibility. The best way to go about determining this is to change foods to a hypoallergenic diet. A true diet trial with a hypoallergenic diet would be with a prescription food such as Hill's z/d. You could also home cook the food or feed a "limited ingredient" food such as Nature's Balance. A diet trial will take a minimum of 45-60 days to complete. Once the stools become more firm, then you can start adding in one in ingredient at a time to determine his response.

In addition to the above, he would also benefit from adding probiotics to his regular meals. Fortiflora or Proviable are two reputable brands. I hope that helps.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Just checking in. How is Marty doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry