Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog gets frequent yeast infections in her ears. I'm

Customer Question
My dog gets frequent...

My dog gets frequent yeast infections in her ears. I'm reading up about monistat to treat it instead of spending over $100 at the vet every time

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

She is 2 years old, and American bulldog and her name is Red

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Red?

I don't believe so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
12/20/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

You can try Monistat. Lotramin AF food cream with the active ingredient "clotrimazole" is a bit stronger than monistat.

Food allergies are a common cause of chronic yeast infection. You may want to try a hypo-allergnic diet fo 8 weeks.

An example is Hills Z/D.

It is suppose to be prescription but sometimes I see it for sale online.

Or you can buy it from your vet.

Food cream? Did you mean foot? Like what you would use for athletes foot or jock itch? Also, we have her on a grain free diet. Free of any beef or poultry. It seems that she itches more with grain and poultry or beef products in the food.

You can also cook a hypo-allergenic diet.

Use a protein she has never had before like venison, rabbit, or goat. Boil it until it is totally cooked through.

Boil white potato or sweet potato separately.

When both are cooked, mix together.

Feed one cup per 10 pounds of dog a day for 8 weeks.

No other treats or foods during the 8 weeks diet trial.

If it is not food allergies, then it could be environmental allergies. Your vet can blood test her to see what she is allergic to.

You can try over the counter human benadryl. 1 mg of benadryl per each pound of dog every 12 hours. It can be used long term

Yes, the lotramin foot cream.

Zymox-HC otic is also a good product. You can buy it online at amazon.com

Does that help? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

You helped so much. Thank you!!

Glad to help. Dermatology and allergies are some of my favorite vet topics : )