Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog had a sweet wrapped in foil and vomitted some foil…

Customer Question
Hi my dog had...

Hi my dog had a sweet wrapped in foil and vomitted some foil around 48 hours back. he is a yorkie 5 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Yes he had a sweet wrapped in foil

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Mojo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mojo?

He is active has not eaten nor pooed

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
12/20/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about your little one. I need to ask a few questions. So the last time he vomited was 48 hours ago? Has he ate anything since then? Is he drinking water at this time?

he is drinking water

That is definitely good that he's drinking water at this time. Has he ate anything over that past 48 hours? How long ago again was his last vomit?

I am in middle East

You are a long ways from where I'm at. :)

How long ago was his last vomit? Has he ate anything over this pat 48 hours? Even a little snack?

can i give him rice and pumpkin
I cannot call u

I'm sorry about the phone call prompt. That was the system and not myself. At this time, you can offer him some bland food to see if that can tempt him to eat. What I like in these situations is to offer some white rice and boiled chicken. It is very tempting and very easy on the stomach. You can make a 1/3 chicken to 2/3 white rice mixture. This situation is one where hopefully the worst is behind. The vomiting is what I wouldn't want to see start up again. Hopefully that sweet temporarily upset things and time has allowed it to quiet down. If the vomiting starts up or he's not eating for a total of another 24 hours, then a trip to your vet would be a good idea.

he just ate rice and pumpkin

That is great that he's getting his appetite back. I would have high hopes that he's got the worst behind him. It may take a few days for him to have stools to pass. If he's not eaten, he needs to get back to eating to have ingesta passing through to make stools.

still waiting is there any medication

At this time, feeding that bland diet and time would seem to be what is needed. There isn't any specific medication that I would look at right now and say that it is needed.

kindly let me know if i need to take him to a vet

If he is getting back to eating at this time and he's not having any more vomiting, it wouldn't seem that a trip to the vet is needed. IF he starts to vomit or stops eating for another 24 hours, then a trip to the vet would be a good idea. Does this make sense?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian