Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog ate chocolate last night and seemed fine. Today he…

Customer Question
My dog ate chocolate...

My dog ate chocolate last night and seemed fine. Today he has vomited a few times and his belly is a little harder. He is just laying down and seems tired.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

He seems comfortable right now, he is sleeping. Just wondering if there’s anything I should look for.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog
12/20/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 2 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Good news! Your dog should be in no danger from this incident, you see in my experience symptoms of chocolate toxicity will be as bad as they are going to get some six hours after ingestion, after that they start to recover. You may perhaps see very minor symptoms such as a tummy upset today and consequently he may be a bit tired, but he should be fine tomorrow as the chocolate will normally be out of his system 48 hours after ingestion.

2. Given the above, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on him. Please follow this link to read more on chocolate toxicity in the dog: LINK

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 1 month ago

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott