Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Y dog has a lump on his neck. He is 15 days old. No name yet…

Customer Question
Y dog has a...

Y dog has a lump on his neck

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

He is 15 days old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

No name yet

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/18/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

I am sorry this site is giving me trouble
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 8 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I breed rotties and I have seen this before.

Often when a pup is first born, mom might nip it or pull a little too vigorously during the birth process and puncture the skin especially in the neck area or the rear area. Bacteria enters the wound and the outer wound heals. However, the trapped bacteria ends up multiplying under the skin leading to a lump. It is often a little squishy. Unfortunately puppies do not have a very developed immune system and it can be hard for them to fight off infections like this. Since the bacteria multiplies, it can take a couple of weeks for the abscess to be visible.

Your vet will likely drain the abscess of fluid and prescribe an antibiotic to help keep the abscess from reforming which it may do requiring it to be drained again. You can read about abscesses here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/abscess-in-dogs/

I've had a few pups in my time that ended up with abscesses. In each case I elected treatment and the pups survived. However, in each case, the vet did advise me to have the pups euthanized rather than treat as he believed breeders do not want to spend the extra money on less than perfect pups. In only one case was there any problem and that was when the hip joint of the pup was affected by the inflammation but the dog was still able to walk normally with no long lasting health issues.

I would o ahead and have the pup examined by your vet so treatment can be started before the pup gets much older.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please done hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.