Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 7 year old has vomited 7-8 times in a couple of hours.

Customer Question
Hi my 7 year...

Hi my 7 year old ***** ***** has vomited 7-8 times in a couple of hours. Mostly tiny amounts of saliva, but it is becoming orange and foamy. He is off his food. And attempting to defecate every half an hour but not getting anything out.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of. I was at work all day. He has a bowl of dry food accessible to him all the time and nibbles. Last big meal was 24 hours ago - some mince and rice

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

MC

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about MC?

He is one week overdue for his parvo vaccination. And is dragging his bum sometimes tonight too

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
12/18/2017
Dog Specialist: Ann M., Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 12 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

Straining to defecate and vomiting are two of the most common signs of an intestinal obstruction. I recommend withholding food AND water for the next 8 hours, and give Prilosec 20mg or Pepcid A/C 5mg. Then, once he has not vomited for 8 hours, you can offer a small amount of a bland diet of boiled chicken breast mixed with white rice. If he holds that down, you can feed that diet in 4-5 small meals per day. If he continues to vomit, you will need to see a vet for xrays. Good luck!

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions or are not yet satisfied with my answer, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service (5 star rating), please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are appreciated... it's always nice to get tipped for your services. Best of luck.

Dog Specialist: Ann M., Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Ann M.