Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog ate chocolate and immediately puked when I gave them

hydrogen peroxide, but I didn't...
my dog ate chocolate and immediately puked when I gave them hydrogen peroxide, but I didn't see the chocolate just other food they got into. Will my dog be okay if he ate a roll bar? He's around 30lbs and the bar is milk chocolate 1.7 oz
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bunny
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bunny?
Customer: Not that I know of
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Rolo**
12/18/2017
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I'll give you the information on chocolate poisoning for future reference. However, a 30 pound dog who has consumed a 1.7 ounce milk chocolate bar should see minimal symptoms such as possible vomiting, diarrhea and agitation. Since you did have him vomit, I would not expect many other symptoms to occur.

Keep this information for future reference. It is the brochure I send to my clients.

Beginning of chocolate brochure

First thing is to not panic. Different kinds of chocolates have different toxicity amounts. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is what causes the toxic response. If the dog ate the chocolate recently (within last 2 hours), you can induce vomiting with 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% per 10 pounds, which can be repeated 10 minutes later if it does not induce vomiting. Items such as cookies and cakes will have less actual chocolate in them, so you will have to make an estimate in the amount of chocolate that may have been in the amount of cake, brownie, or cookie your dog may have ingested .

Signs of theobromine toxic poisoning should appear within 1 to 4 hours of ingesting the chocolate. These include vomiting, increased thirst, diarrhea, weakness, difficulty keeping balance, hyperexcitability, muscle spasm, seizures, coma and potentially death from an abnormal heart rhythm.

The following websites will give you’re the approximate amounts of chocolate that you will need to worry about based on the size of your dog and the type of chocolate. Consult this page to determine if a toxic amount has been ingested.

http://www.vspn.org/Library/misc/VSPN_M01325.htm

http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_chocolatetoxicosis.htm

There is also an interactive chart available as well here:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity

http://veterinaryclinic.com/chocolate/calc.html

If your dog has ingested enough to be toxic according to the chart, you need to have your dog taken to the vet for supportive care. Your vet can administer charcoal to absorb the toxins and let it pass through your dog’s system with less absorption and monitor your dog’s vital signs until the danger has passed.

You also should be aware of the fact that the high fat content in chocolate can also trigger pancreatitis in some dogs and you may wish to take your dog into the vet to avoid this condition developing and definitely keep an eye out for symptoms of this.. You can read about pancreatitis here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/

End of chocolate brochure

So your dog should be fine if all she ate is 1.7 ounces of milk chocolate even if she didn't vomit it back up. I also doubt it will be enough to lead to pancreatitis but you can keep an eye on Bunny in the next 12-24 hours for those symptoms.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please done hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much!