Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She is pregnant not exactly sure when she is supposed to…

Customer Question
She is pregnant not...

She is pregnant not exactly sure when she is supposed to deliver but she has blackish colored discharge

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

This is her first pregnancy

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
12/18/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. How long ago did the discharge start? Is she actively pushing?

This morning no she is not pushing just pacing and panting

Ok, thank you for the information. It sounds like she has been in active labor without producing a puppy for too long. This is called dystocia (difficult birth), and the longer it goes on, the more danger it poses to the puppies and the mom. I also worry about the viability of the fetuses due to the color of the discharge you are seeing. My recommendation would be to take her in to an emergency vet tonight for treatment. The longer you wait, the more complications to mom and puppies there can be.