Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Our dog smells sour. Kinda like body order almost. She has…

Our dog smells sour...

Our dog smells sour. Kinda like body order almost. She has had a big itching problem for a while and we have visited the vet. Prednisone has not worked. We are assuming it is from her food so switched it. From this I am wondering if it’s a yeast on her skin issue and that’s part of the itching problem.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Jaylyn and she10.5

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Jaylyn?

10.5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jaylyn?

I don’t think so

12/18/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Does Jaylyn show any abnormalities in her skin?

Are any medications being given at this time?

What food was previously used and what is being used now?

Any human food or treats being given?

Is she on any monthly dewormer, such as heart worm prevention? If so, what product?

She has some rough spots. I feel from her nibbling on her skin.
No medications
She was on blue buffal but we switched to natural balance and has been on that for about a week.
We have cut out any extra food/treats
She normally does heart worm stuff but to be honest hasn’t in a while.

Can you share pictures of the rough spots you're seeing?

How often is she bathed? Are you using any regular bath products on her?

Are you using any regular bath products on her?

we try and use gentle soaps and things to help with itching

And have any medications been tried aside from the prednisone?

Apoquel

Thank you. Give me just a few moments to type a reply for you.

The sour smell you're detecting does sound like it may be yeast in origin. I would consider having your vet examine Jaylyn again and trying a course of anti fungal medication to help with the smell and also these rough areas (which may be fungal, as well). I would also move from the shampoo you're using to an antibacterial and anti fungal medicated shampoo. She should be bathed 2-4x monthly with this product. Tepid water should be used to wet her coat, the product applied heavily and lathered well. She should sit for 15-20 minutes with the shampoo on her coat before rinsing in tepid water again. I highly recommend Malaseb: http://www.petsupplies4less.com/Malaseb-Medicated-Shampoo-Formulation-for-Dogs--and--Horses-473-ml_p_5966.html?preselopt=16553&gclid=CjwKCAiAr_TQBRB5EiwAC_QCq8Ol7Z01X9m25QAOi8KpQ7JQsKAQj--V3JSXY7BhiJ4FGMTruCahJBoCKX8QAvD_BwE and if you cannot find it Epi-sooth is a good choice for calming skin: https://www.chewy.com/virbac-epi-soothe-shampoo-8-oz/dp/43495?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Virbac&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyNjRBRCpARIsAPDBnn28ftvOjxZ3wQHqu_tRFaSKb4diJH0Z4Sinmqoy-AHDE6iTGREh3HUaAgjcEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I would also give strong consideration to visiting a veterinary dermatologist if her symptoms remain. Since Prednisone and apoquel have not worked, I would also talk to your vet about trying Atopica and also Cytopoint.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you. We are SO busy this time of year but maybe my husband can take her in tmrw night. She’s so uncomfortable. We feel so bad for her. ��

You're very welcome.