Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 5 year old toy poodle is moving normal but cries when we

touch him. Not all...
My 5 year old toy poodle is moving normal but cries when we touch him. Not all the time but often in the last 24 hours. He has been less mobile.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chico. Thank you
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chico?
Customer: He hasn't had any other issues that I am aware of. That probabl8doesnt mean much. But a few days before my other toy poodle was acting similar but without the crying
12/18/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What activities is Chico currently avoiding?

Is he eating and drinking well?

Any history of illness or injury?

Is he on any medication at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is avoiding personal contact. On ate when we took the food to him. Hasn't seen him drink today. He drank all his bowl water last night. Has hurt his leg in the past but nothing recent. No medication.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is avoiding personal contact. On ate when we took the food to him. Hasn't seen him drink today. He drank all his bowl water last night. Has hurt his leg in the past but nothing recent. No medication. Jumps on couch with no pain or crying

As you may well know, small breed dogs are prone to a condition known as IVDD or intervertebral disk disease. This commonly manifests itself as discomfort in the neck and back. We can see symptoms as minor as tenderness and as major as full paralysis of the back legs. You can learn more here: http://sevneurology.com/articles/intervertebral-disk-disease-ivdd-in-dogs/ I do recommend an examination with a veterinarian as soon as possible due to the risk of worsening symptoms. Your vet will likely recommend x-rays to check his neck and back and will place him on a canine-safe NSAID and muscle relaxers, as well as pain meds like tramadol. Strict kennel rest will continue for a few days to a few weeks based on his condition and if it worsens they may recommend more diagnostics or referral to a specialist.

If you have to wait, the best approach is going to be strict kennel rest with no risk of jumping or falling. He can be taken outside to potty but should be lifted gently to go outside and placed gently into the grass. No playtime. If he is not on any pain medication, you can give aspirin in a pinch. Please see the following link for info about dosing and risks: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ I would also give strong consideration to starting a joint supplement such as http://www.glycoflex.com

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much.

You're welcome.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse