Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a dog that just began treatment for parvo last night…

Customer Question
I have a dog...

I have a dog that just began treatment for parvo last night at 2:00 am as of now he had a little diarrhea and his demeanor is described as playful. His white blood count was “normal” but still dehydrated. Does this look like a Good prognosis. The waiting is killing me! He showed diarrhea the day we got him and vomiting (twice) lethargic only as of last night at like 8pm. I feel like he didn’t show symptoms very long. I’m just hoping he can pull out of it. I know it’s hard to say that’s what the vet tells me just looking for other advice

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

7weeks 6 days 5.5 pounds was in great spirits up until last night.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
12/17/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Parvo cases can be very difficult to predict, so know that ups and downs are expected and even improvement now may not mean improvement tomorrow.

A playful demeanor is typically good news when it comes to parvo cases. I will say that the vast majority of dogs who receive in-hospital treatment for parvo do bounce back quite well and survive the virus. You've done the right thing by getting him help as quickly as you did. These next 24 hours should give you a better idea of how well he's going to do. Once he stops vomiting for 24 hours your veterinarian will likely instruct the nurses to give a small amount of food and see if he holds it down. Once he's eating and drinking well on his own without vomiting your vet will probably send him home with you.

You're welcome to keep replying to this thread as the days go by if you have any additional questions. There will be no additional charge for followup discussion, even after rating.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800