Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I just inherited a 5 year old female Yorkie and she is

Hello. I just inherited...

Hello. I just inherited a 5 year old female Yorkie and she is constantly itching. She has black rough areas on her stomach close to her private area and on inner thighs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

The family that had her did not give her regular grooming and changed her food constantly. I

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Reese

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Reese?

She itches constantly Not just that area.

12/17/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been showing these signs?

Any other changes to the skin (ie pustules, pimples, redness, crusts/scaling, ulcers, or sores)?

Any diet change in the 2 months before this started?

What flea treatment has she been on? When was it last applied?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Hello.
I’ve only had her a few days but the prior owner said she is always itching. She was not on flea medicine and her food changed every time she ran out. They bought whatever was on sale. I’m starting her on simply nourish grain free dry dog food and sentinel flea medicine. She saw my vet the day I got her but her hair was so long that it was hard to see anything on her skin. She is now groomed and I can see it all. I’m tying to get into the vet but the are expensive. I will take her if I can’t find a solution soon.
I also have sprayed her with hot spot spray and it’s not helping

Hello again,

Now she does have a mild inflammation there but just to note the dark/black areas are just hyperpigmentation (a sign of chronic irritation but isn't an issue itself). Therefore, further to the flea treatment and stable diet (all perfect places to start), we'd want to consider countering the underlying allergy that looks to be an issue here (which if diet related can take 6 weeks to leave the skin even after we change diets), you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Or if she didn't find that soothing enough, her local vet may be able to dispense a prescription option (ie Atopica, Apoquel, steroids, Cytopoint) as needed since they did just see her.

Furthermore, for any particularly irritated areas, the spray is fine but I do find OTC hydrocortisone cream more effective. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an ecollar (or boxer shorts) on your wee one to protect this. And if we can get her settled, we are happy but if this is severe then we'd want her local vet to try one of those stronger options so we can get her comfortable here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

Thank you so much. This is very helpful. I will continue with a regular diet, flea medicine, and try Benadryl and hydrocortisone.
Do you think it could be contagious to my other dog?

Hello again,

I would not expect this to be. Mites/lice and fleas can be but the first 2 are less likely with what we are seeing and as long as both are being treated for fleas they'd not be a worry either.

All the best,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thank you Dr. B!

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Happy holidays,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian