Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 4 yr old Great Dane has had diarrhea for 5 days now & I…

Customer Question
My 4 yr old...

My 4 yr old Great Dane has had diarrhea for 5 days now & I don’t know how to help her, my other dogs are fine it’s just her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Belle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Belle?

No problems other than that. We were away on vacation & my sister watched her so idk if she picked up something at her house .

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog
12/17/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Diarrhea can be caused by a large number of things including an unusual treat, irritable bowel syndrome, disease, bacteria or protozoan infection. If your dog is eating and drinking normally, Kaopectate might be able to be used depending on the formulation. Read about this here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=26+1303&aid=1431

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate

Imodium at 1 mg per 15 pounds one or two times a day can be given for diarrhea for SOME breeds. Read dosage information here that states Loperamide is also dosed at 1 capsule (2 mg) per 50 pounds (25 kg) if over 20 pounds (10 kg).

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/loperamide-imodium

Some herding breeds like collies can have an adverse reaction to imodium so avoid using in collies and similar breeds.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/drugs.aspx

Canned pumpkin (not pie filling) will also absorb excess fluid in the bowel with just a spoonful added to the dog’s food. Some experts will recommend a bland diet for a few days of boiled chicken and rice. Since the diarrhea has continued for 5 days, I doubt it is a dietary issue. It is possible she picked up a parasite such as worms or a protozoan infection such as coccidia or giardia especially if she was drinking from standing water. `

You might go ahead and deworm her. Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms. Many heartworm preventatives also help control whipworms and roundworms. Another reason to keep your dog on Heartworm medication.

I'd also go ahead and collect a fresh stool sample and drop it by your vet's office for testing for protozoan infections. Now Giardia is more prevalent then coccidia in adult dogs. An over the coutner worm fenbendazole is effective for worms and giardia. This can usually be found at feed supply stores such as tractor supply labeled as a goat dewormer. Dosages for dogs can be found here:

http://www.aquilakennels.com/fenbendazole_print.html

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please done hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 1 month ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.