Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He's limping on his front leg. Rubbing his eye with the knee…

Customer Question
He's limping on his...

He's limping on his front leg. Rubbing his eye with the knee and then licking the knee

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Doesn't appear to be. He was limping but nit seriously this week. Tonight he can't put any pressure on the leg. This happened when he went outside.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Frasier and 14 years old. Just recently started on an arthritis med. gave him aspirin and muscle relaxant tonight.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Frasier?

No. He just had X-ray which showed arthritis in his lower spine. Hips are good. His blood work was also good.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog
12/17/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 5 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

You will need to look over the paw real well. Look for splinters especially around the pads. Look between the toes for sores or pebbles, redness or inflammation. If you find a pebble or splinter, you can remove it. If you find a sore, then you can treat it by soaking the paw 2-3 times a day with warm water and epson salt, disinfecting with hydrogen peroxide and applying Neosporin or triple antibiotic cream. I would then use a baby sock to keep the paw clean changing as it gets dirty.

You will also want to check the nails. Dogs whose nails have become overly long can have a lot of pain due to the nails pushing the toes back and up. Also check the nails for splits. If you find one split, you should try and cut it back. If it is badly split on most of the nail, you may want to have the Vet do it as there is a chance of some bleeding if the nail is cut too short. Take a clean dry cloth and hold it firmly on the nail tip for 5 minutes straight. You can then use a styptic pencil, corn starch or flour in a pinch to stop the bleeding though. Some people recommend using a piece of a paper bag against the nail to stop the bleeding, or rubbing a candle against the nail so the wax stops the bleeding. You'll want to keep your dog calm as walking around may start it bleeding again.

If none of these things is the cause, then you may need to have it looked at by your vet to determine if a fracture is present or not. it may actually be the elbow or shoulder area that is injured, so your vet can check that out. Just in case, buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain if the dog is not already on medication. Just want to be sure you know what the dosage is. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind as well and read the precautions. Read side effects and precautions here.
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

If swelling is present or develops, it might indicate carpal hyperextension which you can read about here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/carpal-hyperextension-in-dogs/

Hyperextension is a real possibility if he got worse after being outside. He may have slipped or moved in a way that aggravated an already present injury. Dogs can have elbow dysplasia and Lyme disease can also cause lameness. You can read about elbow dysplasia here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/elbow-dysplasia-in-dogs/

Unfortunately, besides keeping him inactive for now, there isn't much you can do until he can be seen again. Keeping him inactive and taking him for leashed walks to not help protect him from further damage may give him time to heal. You can also use a towel to make a sling to help support his body weight to keep pressure off the leg as well. Like humans, the older a dog gets, the more likely an injury will occur and he is quite elderly. I had an 18 year old dog that tore his ACL in the knee at around 13 years of age and we elected no surgery. It took him months to become semi mobile again, but he had another 5 years with us after that.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please done hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 4 months ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.