Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He just started continual swallowing about an hour ago. he…

He just started continual...

He just started continual swallowing about an hour ago. he cant sleep its so bad. he can swallow food ok

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Pico. chihuahua about 1 1/2 years. ive had him 4 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pico?

He hasnt felt great the last few days. not playing as much and running around

12/16/2017
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. Give me a few minutes to review your case and type my response.
The continual swallowing can be a sign of overproducing saliva, which can be a sign of nausea in dogs. I can make a few recommendations of things you can try at home to help with the nausea. If these don't work, I would strongly urge you to take him to the vet for an xray and bloodwork to try to figure out the underlying cause.You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with vomiting. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help with GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't doing the job. Let me know if you have any other questions.If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian
Now he's licking his lips too. Do you think it's safe to wait till the morning to see the Vet? I don't think I can pay for emergency
Well thank you for the answer