Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My whippet had surgery to remove a lump from between two of…

My whippet had surgery...

My whippet had surgery to remove a lump from between two of her toes Monday. She just got the bandage off today but still has stitches. She was fine all day, but tonight I caught her licking it and there was a little blood. Should I be worried? I used vet wrap to cotton around it and then put a sock over it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

No. The lump was benign fortunately. I am more worried I caught her licking at the stitches.

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/16/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a picture of what the area looks like now? This will help to determine if any interventional steps need be taken.

Thank you and are the sutures all intact? I can see two that are but the middle one looks like it may have come undone. Does it appear secure and knotted still on your end?

it is still intact.

Perfect. The surgical area looks perfectly normal from what I can see. Is your girl wearing an e-collar currently?

No. And she didnt need one when it was bandaged. All this has happened after the bandage came off.

I would certainly keep it covered, but if she keeps attempting to lick it she's going to need to go in to one. You'll want to change the bandaging daily and ensure it's not so tight as to cut off circulation. If you need to make an e-collar at home, by chance, you can use the directions here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eU If she is like many whippets where her head and neck are roughly the same size, you can place her into a harness and secure the back edge of the e-collar to the neck piece of the harness to keep her from being able to slide it off forward.

In short, I would not be worried but I would approach the situation with the intention of preventing her from having any further access to the paw or she may worsen it's condition. A little blood is not too concerning following surgery and the days that follow.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy