Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Dog ate my antibiotics... macrobid 100mg caps.

Dog ate my antibiotics.....

Dog ate my antibiotics... macrobid 100mg caps

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Charlie...standard poodle...65 lbs and 4 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?

Nope she is a healthily dog...but apparently stupid enough to counter surf for my antibiotics

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/16/2017
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Charlie. I'm sorry this happened, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

Exactly how long ago did this happen?

Could have been up to like 6 hours ago or as soon as 45 mins ago

Understood. And am I correct in assuming he's acting totally normal right now?

Macrodantin isn't an antibiotic we typically reach for with dogs, but I'm not aware of it being toxic. Please give me a minute to look it up.

She is acting totally normal...other than she knows she was bad so she is sl
As long as 6 hours ago or as soon as 45 min
She is acting normal...peeing outside...no loose stool...not trying to eat grass...but is slinking around bc she knows she is bad, lol
She is currently trying to love on me/apologize for eating the meds...

After checking the databook, I'm happy to let you know this antibiotic is not expected to be toxic to a dog Charlie's size even at much higher doses than this. If I were prescribing it for her, I would give 150mg every 8 hours.

If anything, she may show some brief upset stomach signs.

But mostly, we don't expect anything bad to happen from this.

How many of the 100mg capsules did she eat?

I’m thinking around 8-10

(This is why I love standard poodles. They always know what's going on and how you're feeling. They're like people in a dog suit.)

There is a bunch of power on the floor where she chewed them up so she didn’t get it all... I know she is too smart for her own good!

Yes, she is!

Here's the section from the formulary on overdoses...

"

Overdosage/Acute Toxicity

No specific information was located. Because the drug is rapidly absorbed and excreted, patients with normal renal function should require little therapy when mild overdoses occur. If the ingestion was relatively recent, massive overdoses should be handled by emptying the gut using standard protocols; patient should then be monitored for adverse effects (see above)."

Ok thanks...she is currently happily sleeping in my lap... I’ll keep an eye on her

I would consider this a "mild overdose".

If she ate them within the last hour or so, it could be beneficial to induce vomiting, but even doing that is not without risk.

Since the worst we expect this to do is cause a mild upset stomach, there's no reason to induce vomiting. The first thing she'll do if it bothers her is vomit.

It should be okay to wait it out. Do be sure to take her in if anything changes, though, just to be on the safe side.

Is there anything else I can help you with tonight? I want to be as helpful as possible because I know what it's like to worry.

Any idea if the “dog ate my antibiotics story” works with the doctors office? Lol
Thanks have a merry Christmas

Hahaha! Yes, it should work. You won't be the first time they've heard that.

You're welcome. You have a happy Christmas, too.

Enjoy that Charlie of yours.

Please remember to rate my response on your way out of the chat so I may receive credit for helping you tonight.

Thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Hi Jessica,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian