Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He started to poop but something is stuck right at the and…

He started to poop...

He started to poop but something is stuck right at the and openimg

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Trax he's 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Trax?

He is on metrizasnole for a possible bacterial infection, which his stool sample did show no paradites

12/16/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Was he having diarrhea beforehand?

Can you describe what appears to be stuck?

Ok he is still outside trying to pass whatever it is. He may have ate something he's a bloodhound

Was he having diarrhea beforehand?

No diarrhea. Possible eaten toy I can't tell what it is. It's on the edge of his anus mixed with feces

He's going to need to pass this naturally. Do not pull or attempt to free it by putting anything into his body. If he cannot produce this on his own he will need to be examined and treated at your local veterinary clinic (ER if it's after hours). In some cases surgery may be needed to free a foreign body from the intestines/colon. I would recommend giving him highly fibrous meals until this can be passed. With enough stool behind it, it may eventually come out. If you notice any blood, straining, protrusion of tissue, etc. it has become an emergency situation and he must be seen promptly. You can add boiled rice or pure canned pumpkin to his food at a volume of 50% to encourage bowel movements and helps to push the material from the body. If anything is produced but hanging, do NOT pull. Trim the item close to the body and allow the rest to be produced normally.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Ok so no enema??

No. Do not put anything into the body. Without knowing what is being produced it could worsen his condition.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Ok thanks

You're welcome. Good luck!