Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Recently had our 4 month old puppy diagnosed with Parvo he

had his last vaccine last...
Recently had our 4 month old puppy diagnosed with Parvo he had his last vaccine last Monday CBC showed minimally low wbc butmparvo teat was “strong” positive. He is lethargic vomited twice today he is hospitalized on fluids etc. I have a pregnant dog at home who is due tomorrow. We have bleeched EVERYThINg. We even brought in stool samples from other dogs today to test and they were negative Momma dog just vomited some bile. But her temp also just dropped to 98.9. Trying to ease my mind that this is labor vomit and not Parvo. She had normal poop today
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?
Customer: He had surgery yesterday because they thought it was an obstruction no one suspected Parvo everyone has been shocked that it was positive. His first vomit was Tuesday afternoon he had only 2 diarrhea but it was after he had been on abx for almost a day
12/15/2017
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian here to try and answer your questions.

Are you available to chat?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am ok with texting

So your momma dog just vomited and you are concerned about whether she has parvo. Correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is due tomorrow and one of our other puppies came back positive disputes being vaccinated with his 3rd booster last Monday. We have tested other dogs in the house as well and they are negative. I am on super high alert with my momma though. Of note she did also have a temp drop from 100.3 mid day to 98.9 about 15-20 minutes ago. So I am hoping this was just an “I’m going into labor” vomit
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also of note the puppy is hospitalized and has been since yesterday. He will be staying the weekend at least. Then going to a family member while we are with puppies.

If the mother is vaccinated, then she should not have parvovirus. Sometimes very old dogs can get parvovirus, but the vaccine when given after 4 months of age is almost 100% effective. I would be more concerned about the other puppies, but it sounds like you have cleaned everything and done your due diligence

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the entire house has been bleached where momma is and she is quaranteened. Our other dogs are all adults. They are in the kennel which has also been bleeched top to bottom. We have bleach buckets at every entrance and have had no loose poops from anyone else today just one overnight which we tested today and was negative. I like I said am on high alert and need reassurance or guidance Incase we were missing something

I do not think the mother has parvovirus. With her temperature dropping, as you know, this does indicate she may be about to go into labor. Just be very cautious with the newborns. I have seen them vomit before they go into labor as the hormones change quite drastically. If she has been healthy the whole pregnancy, then I doubt that she suddenly picked up some other disease or developed a metabolic disease to cause her to vomit. If she continues to vomit, then I would take her to the vet just to make sure she does not get dehydrated right before giving birth

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
momma is 2 yrs 5 months. She was due for vaccinesnin October but was bred that month Vet had told me I should wait until after puppies to do her vaccines. She had her full puppy series plus an annual booster this would have been her gusty 3 year booster

I agree with your vet. As long as she had a vaccine after she was 4 months old, she should be protected against parvo

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for the reassurance. She is drinking and peeing without issues. Finicky eating tonight but not abnormal prelabor

You are very welcome. I hope everything goes well with the delivery! I will keep you in my prayers.

I strive for 100% satisfaction. If you feel I have provided this to you, please leave positive feedback. You can always respond to this post at a later date in time if you have additional questions. Have a blessed day.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much temp now 98. so I’m sure it’s hormonal adjustment now thank you!!! Yes please also keep our baby in your prayers I am very concerned for him
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I cannot find where to rate our interaction?

I am not sure. It might be in an email that was sent to you. I will send this to the moderator to have them help you.

You should be able to rate it now. All the best.

Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Christina
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Hi dr Christina! Everything went well. Our female went into labor the next morning and delivered 10 beautiful babies! Our 4 month old remains at the Vet but is improving everyday. He will be staying with family when he is able to get out for awhile to prevent any risk to the babies from viral shedding. Now we are keeping momma in an essentially sterile environment until we are in the clear or babies are able to vaccinate at 6 weeks

That's great news!! I am so happy to hear it. :) Thank you so much for sharing.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Absolutely thank you for checking in!!
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Also they decided it was a complete fluke of timing on our 4 month old vaccination schedule and his bodies ability to make antibodies etc. we had been completely baffled as to how he had contracted because he nor have any of our other dogs left the house since thanksgiving. He was vaccinated on a Monday and got an ear nip on Tuesday which they feels made it difficult for him to work on two things at once (healing his ear and building antibodies to his vaccine). So that is the best guess anyone has come up with as to how everything transpired. None of our other adult dogs have had any signs or symptoms though we are keeping everyone separate from momma including momma dog having her on completely new and separate outside (leashed) potty exercise area
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian